St Thomas the Apostle Website
Photos of St Thomas Church
line
Calendar Contact Us Find Us Mass Times Newsletter Photo Gallery

 

Kiltalown House and the Pale Ditch

Kiltlawn

Kiltalown means ”Church of the Elms” and it is a suitable name for this ancient town land.  An old church existed on this site until the 17th Century.  In 1800 a John Carpenter, the then owner of the land, demolished it completely and on the old foundations built a house in Queen Anne’s style called Kiltalown House. 

Kiltalown House has some fine architectural features.  The portico has a pair of Doric columns and full entablature, and the doorway has a carved timber surround with fanlight.  The house has a hipped slate roof and extensions and barns/outbuildings at the side - to the rear of the house.

A family by the name of  Jolley were the last y to inhabit the house.  Mr. W. Jolley bought the land and house and he and his extended family lived there until 1987.  In 1987 the Jolley family gave the house and the remaining land to Dublin County Council.  The house was badly damaged in a fire in 1988, the house was repaired and is now a great asset to the whole community.

Archaeological findings around Kiltalown House
A part of the pale, the medieval ditch that surrounded Norman Dublin was discovered in the grounds of Kiltalown House.

 The Pale Ditch, dated from the Act of Parliament in 1794.  It was an extensive archaeological find and it was recorded and validated by the Office of Public Works in February 1996.
An Urn and the fragment of a larger one was found in 1848 in the town land of Kiltalown and are now in the National Museum of Ireland.